Thursday, October 15, 2009

Boot Euphoria

by Mackenzie Miller

Wednesday turned out to be a monumental day, though my morning started like most with a run along the beach. As the burning subsided in my tired legs, and the sleep melted from my eyes, I noticed something different, however. The sky was an unusually gloomy shade of gray. The air was damp, and cold. Had San Diego finally decided to behave within the guidelines of fall? Eureka! I thought. BOOT SEASON.

I couldn’t contain my excitement as I showered and got ready for my day. All I could think about was peeling open the shoebox of those tan, leather, slouchy boots I had been just WAITING to wear. And as I left the house (practically strutting) I couldn’t help but notice how elevated my mood was. My boot-euphoria quickly transitioned into Fall-euphoria, and I giddily came up with my top 5 reasons – shoe trends aside - why I love the season so much.

1. Sitting by the fireside. There is nothing I love better than enjoying my book/TV show/homework by a fire. I swear it transforms whatever the activity is.

2. Pumpkin flavored lattes: why is it that these are only available in Fall? Clearly, ‘pumpkin’ is a flavor that could – and SHOULD – be enjoyed all year long. Get with it, Starbucks.

3. Wearing socks to sleep, and around the house in general. And not just any socks: fuzzy ones. Thick ones. Knee-high ones! (Ps – sorry to rub in the whole sock thing, Aly. I know yours were recently knocked off….)

4. RAIN! Okay, there usually isn’t much. But on that rare circumstance that I get to whip out the umbrella, it is a joyous occasion.

5. Thanksgiving - perhaps my favorite holiday, ever. Because every American celebrates, regardless of religion. Because it isn’t about gifts – it’s about family. And being thankful for what we have.

Now I’m bummed. Because thanksgiving is sooooo far away. I got ahead of myself. But you know, who needs to wait for Thanksgiving to be thankful? Every time I go into work at Plant With Purpose I’m reminded of how lucky we all are (as human beings) that there are people and organizations out there willing and able to help people. Willing to change and save lives.

My mom’s delicious yams will have to wait until the end of November. But in the meantime, I’ll just be thankful for non-profits, warm socks and delicious lattes. And cute boots, of course. Gosh I love Fall.

No comments:

Post a Comment