Tuesday, June 2, 2009

I thought a wedding was just about two people?

This last week I was a groomsman in a good friend’s wedding back in Arizona where I grew up. Aside from the sweltering heat and the need to blast my air conditioner in my car at every hour of the day to stay cool, the wedding and events surrounding it were spectacular. The bride and groom met in China as counselors for a high school mission trip from which my friend returned posing the question to me, “would you like to see the girl I am going to marry?” It sounds like a line from a cheesy chick flick, but those were, in fact, his exact words and a year and a half later my friend married the girl of his dreams. I am writing about my friend’s wedding because they are a great example of selflessness in a world that can sometimes seem like “it’s all about me.” Always putting others before themselves, my friends chose to highlight a few non-profit organizations by putting frames on each table at the wedding that told about causes that they support (working at a non-profit myself, I cannot express how effective this kind of exposure can be.) Another gesture of goodwill that the newlyweds showed was to purchase TOMS shoes as a groomsmen present to be worn during the reception. TOMS shoes is a non-profit that is dedicated to giving away a pair of shoes to a child in need for every pair of shoes that they sell, “One for One” as they say. The wedding party was anything but small, the bride was able to cut her half down to just eight, which is impressive for a girl coming from a family of 13 kids (no wonder she is selfless too). With a large bridal party comes a large groomsmen party and because of the bride and grooms decision to support TOMS shoes and to represent them at their wedding, 8 children in need of a pair of shoes will have that need met by a great organization. At an event that is meant to focus solely on two individuals, more and more we are starting to see those couples turning the attention toward others in an effort to make a difference in the lives of the less fortunate. Here at Plant With Purpose, we have received sizeable donations contributed specifically for a wedding so that the bride and groom can tell all of their guests that a tree has been planted in each of their names as a thank you for attending their wedding. I would be curious to know if anyone else has ever seen charitable giving at a wedding and would love it if you would share! Best of luck to my newlywed friends as you continue in a life of love, happiness, and putting others needs before your own. Corbyn Small Outreach Coordinator

1 comment:

  1. Here are some cool stories/tips on "greening" a wedding.

    http://www.cbs8.com/Global/story.asp?S=10401841

    ReplyDelete