Friday, May 14, 2010

A Visit to Fonds-Verrettes, Haiti

By Kathie Culhane-Pera, MD

The below article was written by a member of St Clement’s Episcopal Church in St. Paul, Minnesota. St. Clements sponsors the village of Fonds-Verrettes, which is a part of Plant With Purpose’s Floresta-Haiti program, and Kathleen had the opportunity to visit that village on a recent trip. Here are some of her experiences.

I have just returned from Haiti where I worked as a medical volunteer at Leogane. Because our church congregation has joined funds to support Plant With Purpose’s community and agricultural development program in Fonds-Verrettes, I also visited Fonds-Verrettes.

I saw evidence that Floresta-Haiti is making a significant impact on people’s lives in Fonds-Verrettes. I met farmers in a field as they were planting trees and in a church building. I was able to hear some of their stories—and their testimonies about the importance of Floresta-Haiti in their lives. They said:

“M’aime Floresta. I love Floresta.”

“Floresta es m’manman, m’papa. Floresta is my mother and my father.”

“Floresta does not give me things, but has taught me to do for myself.”

“Floresta has taught me how to compost, how to increase the yield of my soil.”

“Floresta has taught me how to plant with natural fertilizers, graft trees, and raise goats.”

“Floresta has taught us to conserve our soil and decrease our erosion.”

“Floresta has taught us how to pool our money, and loan it to each other.”

“Floresta has permitted us to be a big family of 10 villages, united in preserving the land.”

“Floresta helps us partner together.”

One man quoted a Haitian proverb: “Men anpil chay pa lou. Many hands, the load is not heavy.”

Another man quoted a different Haitian proverb that supports this same idea:

“Yen sel dwet pa manje kalalou. Yen sel nou feb ansanm nou fo.

One digit alone cannot eat ochre. We alone are weak, together we are strong.”

Indeed, Floresta-Haiti and the people of Fonds-Verrettes are doing God’s work. But they cannot do it alone. The congregation at St Clement’s Episcopal Church in St Paul MN is committed to supporting them in their work. Together, we know we can do great things.

If you or your church are interested in sponsoring a village in Haiti, please click here to learn more.

No comments:

Post a Comment