Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Plant With Purpose HD Video

by Aly Lewis The other day I saw a girl with a shirt that read “Don’t Just Hug a Tree, Plant a Tree,” and, besides trying to slyly take a picture of her with my camera phone to send to my coworkers, it got me thinking about what it means to be a “tree hugger.” As someone who strongly believes in caring for Creation, I like the idea of hugging trees, but I don’t feel particularly compelled to actually hug trees—unless it’s the tree from my childhood favorite, The Giving Tree, or Mother Willow from Disney’s Pocahontas. Luckily at Plant With Purpose I can do something even more meaningful (and less splinterful) than hugging a tree. I can plant them. Plant With Purpose offers environmental solutions to humanitarian problems. Or, as I like to say, we hug trees to love people. Or is it love trees and hug people? If we’re going to get technical we don’t actually hug anybody, or at least hugs aren’t mentioned explicitly in any of our strategic plans. Regardless, the good news is that I don’t have to choose between caring for the Earth and helping people. At Plant With Purpose, there is no distinction. To love God is to love people is to care for the Earth. Thus we plant trees. And help people care for them once they’re planted. And their land becomes fruitful. Their children are well nourished. Their economic situation does a 180. Their lives are transformed. No hugs involved, but that sounds a lot like love to me. Join Plant With Purpose and show some love by planting trees! To plant a tree for just $1 per tree, visit our Trees Please! page.

No comments:

Post a Comment