Friday, June 25, 2010

Midyear's Resolution

by Corbyn Small
So, at the beginning of the year I told myself, 'this year I am going to ride my bike to work on a regular basis instead of driving.' After all, it's only ten miles to work and there is a pretty decent bike route. Well, about a week into the new year I 'biffed' it and went over my handlebars on a bad patch of road. Five months and a health insurance deductible later, we blogged about San Diego's Bike to Work Day on May 21st to encourage everyone to 'saddle up' and bike to work. We were really excited about a majority of our Plant With Purpose office getting on the saddle and saving some gas... Well, here's the bit that is actually really exciting, out of that Bike to Work Day, Aly Lewis (our grant writer) and I have made, and held to, commitments to riding our bikes to work 2-3 days a week. In the last month we have biked a combined 352 miles and saved over $50 at the pump.
As you might expect, the last month has been great! I have kicked my three-cups-a-day coffee addiction, I am feeling healthier, more active, and saving money. Aly has also been enjoying her scenic rides through Mission Bay Park and is excited to pedal her fitness routine into high gear. She has also committed to giving up sodas, which I'll be sure to hold her accountable to. Biking to work has been great so far, but I know the challenge is really going to come when the sun starts disappearing earlier and earlier. Summer is going to end and the days of sunshine till 8:30 pm are going to be gone... so I'll need you folks to hold me accountable. On many of my recent bikes to work I have calculated that if I succeed at riding three days a week I will be saving $504 a year in gas! I haven't had the time to calculate the cost savings associated with putting 3,000 miles less on my car per year, but I am confident I will come up with a solid number to keep my motivation up. $10 dollars a week in savings doesn't seem like that much in gas savings, but over the course of a year... it really racks up some pretty savings.
Thanks for letting me share!
Here's a couple of avid bike riders who use their means of transportation to do some serious hauling in Burundi.
~~~~~

Corbyn Small serves as Plant With Purpose’s Outreach Coordinator. He cultivates relationships with donors, churches, artists and musicians to generate interest and enthusiasm for Plant With Purpose’s life-changing programs. He is also responsible for the volunteer and intern opportunities in the Plant With Purpose office. corbyn@plantwithpurpose.org

No comments:

Post a Comment